We can help return sensitive documents or valuables to their owner.
Our office at the Public Safety Building occasionally serves as a repository for lost or missing items when those items contain personal information or have extraordinary value. In those cases, we can assist in identifying and contacting their owner to make sure they are returned safely.
We will not accept certain items that do not include sensitive information or many common items that have a low likelihood of being returned.
Here are some examples (this is not intended to be an exhaustive list):
We DO accept:
- Identification items
- Driver’s licenses
- State identification cards
- Electronics with elevated value
- Laptop computers
- Wallets or purses ONLY when they contain:
- Credit/debit cards
- Other items that would assist in the identification of the owner
- Official clothing or uniforms
- Police uniform items
- Military clothing
- Security guard uniforms
- Dispatcher uniforms
We DO NOT accept:
- Dangerous items. Call 217-333-8911 to have a police officer dispatched if you find a dangerous item such as:
- Illegal drugs/paraphernalia
- Perishable items such as food or drinks
- Ordinary clothing
- Liquids (including hand sanitizers or lotions)
- Beauty products
- Soiled or otherwise unusable items
- Any item that has been held by the finder for more than one month.
- Items with a value less than $25 (except for jewelry or currency)
- Prescription drugs (find a designated take back location)
Any person or campus unit turning in five or more items at a time will be required to complete the Division of Public Safety’s inventory form listing each individual item, when it was received and where it was found. A Public Safety employee will examine each item, compare it to the inventory and reject any items that we cannot accept. The person in possession of rejected items will be responsible for their safe disposal.
Have you lost property?
If you’ve lost something important or valuable, we can take your report and let you know if it’s turned in to us. It helps to have a detailed description, including a serial number or device number if applicable.
If you have a question about whether we accept an item or otherwise need help, send us a message or call our front desk at 217-333-1216.