Immigration Assistance

We are committed to the equal application of the law without regard to anyone’s immigration status or citizenship.

The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is a global campus. We think it’s critical that we are open with you about how we approach law enforcement issues involving immigration.

Policies and practices

The University of Illinois Police Department does not inquire about anyone’s immigration status, nor do we enforce federal immigration laws. We do not hold any person solely on the basis of a federal immigration detainer. We do not work with U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) unless we are legally obligated to do so after being presented with a criminal warrant signed by a judge.

Assistance for victims and witnesses

University Police can assist crime victims or witnesses in obtaining temporary immigration visas. A University Police Detective can help you petition the United States government for a U or T visa depending on the situation:

  • U visas are available to victims of qualifying crimes to provide employment authorization and more stability while they work with law enforcement. More information about U visas is available on the U.S. Customs and Immigration Services website.
  • T visas are available to victims of human trafficking and allows them to stay in the United States for up to four years while being authorized for employment and certain federal and state benefits and services. More information about T visas is available on the U.S. Customs and Immigration Services website.

If you believe you may be eligible for either of these visas, contact us and ask to speak with a University Police detective about your situation. In these situations, it is likely that you will already have been in contact with a police detective who can help you initiate the application process.

More information

If you are a University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign student or scholar and you would like to receive more information about your options without speaking with the police, you can contact the International Student and Scholar Services office.