This three-year strategic plan establishes a framework through which the Division intends to enhance campus and community safety, engage our community in critical dialogue, develop our staff, ensure that modern policing philosophies are put into practice and achieve organizational excellence.
The Division of Public Safety at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is an organization that strives to provide the highest level of service to our campus community members, visitors and Champaign-Urbana residents. Our mission, vision and values continue to guide our strategies for the next three years.
The Division of Public Safety is forward-looking, and we strive to support the institutional goals of the university to foster scholarship, to provide transformative learning experiences, to make a significant and visible societal impact and to responsibly steward our public resources.
To do so, we must have a focused vision for the future. The goals detailed in this strategic plan intend to build upon the Division of Public Safety’s past success and develop a map for the future so that we can provide a safe campus environment and facilitate rich experiences for all who live, work and study at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Last updated: April 2019
- Enhance the Division’s holistic approach to maintaining a safe campus environment.
- Elevate UIPD as a leader in the law enforcement community by providing the highest quality of service.
- Engage community members by providing and prioritizing new outreach opportunities.
- Attract and train enthusiastic employees whose principles align with the Division’s community-based values.
- Cultivate future excellence by developing departmental leaders and growing the skills they need to succeed in new roles.
- Achieve operational excellence.
- Leverage technology to streamline efficiencies and better serve our community.
- Improve the Division’s physical space to ensure that team members have the tools they need to provide a high level of service to the community.
Enhance the Division’s holistic approach to maintaining a safe campus environment.
Reduce part one crimes compared to previous month/year
- Work with crime analyst to obtain baseline and historical analysis of part one crimes on campus
- Create and distribute monthly report which shows relevant information related to part one crimes on campus
- Have patrol lieutenants create monthly plans for enforcement and community involvement to address any part one crime issues
Reduce response times to high priority calls for service to less than four minutes
- Work with crime analyst to obtain baseline and historical analysis of response times to high priority calls
- Create and distribute monthly report which shows response times
- Have patrol lieutenants create monthly plans to address any modifications or suggestions to reduce response times
Create Community Engagement Officer positions
- Provide service to the campus community when it is most populated with students, faculty, staff and visitors
- Uniformed officers assigned to patrol working together in the core of the campus primarily on bike and/or foot
- Focus on community policing initiatives, improving public safety visibility, prevent/deter crime and apprehend those who commit crime
Elevate UIPD as a leader in the law enforcement community by providing the highest quality of service.
Obtain 2nd ILEAP re-accreditation award
- Collect and prepare proofs of compliance and update ILEAP accreditation files by December 31, 2019
- Conduct mock on-site assessment of ILEAP accreditation files by June 30, 2020
- Conduct successful ILEAP on-site assessment in 2021
Obtain initial CALEA advanced accreditation award
- Complete a written directive review by December 31, 2019
- Develop and/or revise written directives, with associated proofs, to be in compliance with 1/3 of CALEA standards by July 31, 2020
- Conduct compliance review #1 in December of 2020
- Develop and/or revise written directives, with associated proofs, to be in compliance with 2/3 of CALEA standards by July 31, 2021
- Conduct compliance review #2 in December of 2021
- Develop and/or revise written directives, with associated proofs, to be in compliance with all CALEA standards by May 31, 2022
Strengthen community perception and collaboration with UIPD through the use of modern communications tools
- Initiate community satisfaction survey by December 31, 2019
- Reach 15,000 Facebook likes, 10,000 Twitter followers and 2,000 Instagram followers by December 31, 2020
- Use digital communication technologies to increase community reporting of public safety issues and enhance UIPD’s ability to respond to community concerns by December 31, 2021
Engage community members by providing and prioritizing new outreach opportunities.
Continue to participate in the Police Training Institute’s (PTI) Citizen Police Academy
- Maintain relationship with PTI to communicate information related to CPA within the campus community
Host Community Police Academies
- Continue to host two Community Police Academies each academic year for university affiliates
- Constantly evaluate, update and improve the experience for academy participants
Host Youth Leadership Camp
- Develop and host first Youth Leadership Camp in summer of 2019
- Recruit and develop program for summer of 2020 and 2021
Attract and train enthusiastic employees whose principles align with the Division’s community-based values.
Develop recruiting plan
- Create recruiting team to propose ideas for all sectors within DPS
- Implement newer methods of advertising and marketing
- Attract and retain a workforce that reflects the diversity of the campus community
Advocate to correct Tier 2 retirement legislation
- Continue to work with other Universities and legislators to address language correction in Tier 2 retirement
Review/revise field training program
- Review current methods and other possible FTO programs
- Review/revise current training outlines
- Increase number of field training officers
Cultivate future excellence by developing departmental leaders and growing the skills they need to succeed in new roles.
Identify future leaders of the department
- Provide leadership training to newly promoted supervisors
- Assign mentors to newly promoted supervisors
- Create opportunities for cross-training within the department
Review and revise current performance evaluation system
- Develop sub-group to make recommendations
- Include career development planning as a part of the performance evaluation review discussed by the supervisor with employees
- Implement new performance evaluation system by May 31, 2020
Identify career development opportunities
- Identify and train sworn personnel to conduct Threat, Risk and Vulnerability assessments of university buildings/facilities in FY20
- Develop opportunities for temporary assignments to gain knowledge, skills, and abilities in conducting investigations by FY21
- Annually re-evaluate committee memberships
Achieve operational excellence.
Identify opportunities for streamlining our services and/or reducing costs while improving service.
- Conduct yearly budgeting exercises to identify where services may be consolidated or enhanced
- Leverage technology to make the delivery of services more efficient and less time-consuming for staff members.
Increase communication and information sharing to ensure staff members are engaged in decision-making processes.
- Continue to engage all members of the department in monthly open meetings with the Chief of Police
- Continue to publish and evaluate bi-monthly newsletter with department updates and messages from supervisors on key issues
- Coordinate initiatives to facilitate open communication up and down the chain of command.
Obtain proper budget to meet organizational needs.
- Continue to track and analyze all expenditures
- Prepare historical documents based on revised tracking procedures
- Work with campus staff to develop funding for annual needs and capital replacement
Leverage technology to streamline efficiencies and better serve our community.
Policy updates and training records
- Update and move all training records to Power DMS by December 31, 2019
- Evaluate methods to create and revise policies and provide constant and ongoing training on updated policies
Improve records management systems
- Participate with other agencies in development of integrated CAD/RMS
- Review and classify all police reports, per records retention recommendations by June 30, 2020
Develop online report mechanism
- Investigate potential avenues to allow online reporting of current mail-in/desk reports, anonymous tips, compliments and complaints by December 31, 2019
- Evaluate and make recommendations to implement online reporting for misdemeanor reports with no suspects or witnesses by June 30, 2020
Improve the Division’s physical space to ensure that team members have the tools they need to provide a high level of service to the community.
Complete building remodel project
- Monitor and complete second floor remodel by June 30, 2019
- Monitor and complete first floor building remodel by December 31, 2019
Address deferred maintenance issues
- Complete repairs to men’s locker room shower/floor tile by December 31, 2019
- Compile list of doors/walls that need repair and painted
- Make schedule for floor maintenance
Enhance physical appearance to promote pride in DPS
- Compile ideas for wall décor/display
- Organize historical items for display