You never have to walk alone.
Criminals tend to look for people who are walking alone at night. By staying together in groups, we significantly reduce our risk of being targeted.
SafeWalks is a free nightly service provided to University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign students, faculty, and staff. With just a phone call, trained Student Patrol officers will come meet you and walk with you to your destination.
To request a SafeWalks escort, call 217-333-1216. You can also use an emergency phone to contact a dispatcher. Please give at least 15 minutes notice.
Hours of operation
- Sunday-Wednesday: 9 p.m. to 2:30 a.m.
- Thursday-Saturday: 9 p.m. to 3 a.m.
The Division of Public Safety employs Student Patrol Officers who add an extra layer of security to the campus area. In addition to providing the SafeWalks service, Student Patrol Officers act as extra eyes and ears to observe suspicious activity. Some of their responsibilities include:
- Courtesy warnings for loud party complaints in the Champaign campus area.
- SafeWalks escorts during their operating hours.
- Extra pedestrian controls during major events such as football and basketball games, or concerts.
- Extra security details that do not require a sworn officer. These are made upon departmental request.
- Calling for medical assistance when they encounter a community member in need.
Visit our employment page for more information on how to join Student Patrol.
The Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District offers limited SafeRides at night. Please visit the MTD website for schedules and information about SafeRides.