Work with Us
As a police officer at one of the nation's preeminent public universities, you will be working in a vibrant, micro-urban community with a great variety of culture, recreation, and entertainment opportunities — suitable both for families and young professionals.
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has a large campus community of more than 60,000 students, faculty and staff members. University of Illinois Police officers also work within the communities of Champaign and Urbana, which have a total population of about 125,000.
The University of Illinois Police Department maintains high expectations of its sworn and non-sworn staff and is recognized as one of the premier university police departments in the country. Its officers boast a unique law enforcement experience as well as unique challenges, working with a diverse student and staff population and members of the Champaign-Urbana community.
UIPD takes pride in being a leader in community-based, progressive approaches toward law enforcement. The department supports its officers and encourages them to introduce creative and innovative ways to promote public safety, engage the community and be a leader on campus. UIPD is committed to the administration of law and order based on the constitutional idea of justice where every person will be treated with dignity and fairness.
Salary & Benefits
- $55,453 base-rate for entry-level officers
- $61,000 with estimated overtime
- Seniority step increases
Health, dental, vision, and life plans
- Employee and dependent coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Employees receive a 100% tuition waiver up to 11 hours per semester to attend any state university
- Children of current employees (with 7 years of service) receive 50% tuition waivers at any state university
Paid time off
- Sick Leave
- Parental Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Compensatory Time Leave
- State Universities Retirement System
- Optional tax-deferred retirement plans
10-hour work day
- 3-4 days off per week
How to Join Our Team
We are not currently accepting applications.
Please sign up for our mailing list to be notified when we are testing for new officers.
Minimum qualifications for hire
- 21 years of age
- High school graduate or GED
- Must possess or obtain State of Illinois driver’s license
- No record of felony convictions
1) Submit application and exam request at jobs.illinois.edu
2) The testing will occur in four phases, which includes:
- Computerized exam
- Physical abilities test
- Oral board interview
3) Placement on Police Officer Eligibility Register
4) Hiring Interview
5) Background Investigation
6) Medical Evaluation
7) Psychological assessment
8) Pre-employment drug screening
- One year probation
- Twelve weeks of basic police training at the Police Training Institute
- Seventeen weeks with a field training officer
- Continued training and professional development
Ask a Recruiter
Our recruiting team is available to answer questions about the hiring process and career opportunities. Please contact Lt. Joan Fiesta.
If you are interested in being put on the notification list for the open application, please sign up here.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
The University of Illinois Police Student Patrol is made up of students who are employed and trained by University of Illinois Police. Student Patrol officers provide an additional patrol presence during the evening and early morning hours. They carry police radios and can notify the police should they see anything suspicious. Student Patrol officers have been instrumental in preventing numerous criminal acts and apprehending offenders in crimes such as armed robbery and burglary.
In addition, Student Patrol officers provide valuable services to both the police and the university community. These services include:
- Courtesy warnings for loud party complaints in the Champaign campus area.
- SafeWalks escorts during their operating hours.
- Extra pedestrian controls during major events such as football and basketball games, or concerts.
- Extra security details that do not require a sworn officer. These are made upon departmental request.
For a full list of duties, read this detailed job description.
On school nights during the fall and spring semesters, the normal hours of operation for Student Patrol are:
9 p.m. to 2:30 a.m., Sunday through Wednesday
9 p.m. to 3 a.m., Thursday, Friday and Saturday