The University of Illinois Police Department is now accepting applications from officers who already work at another law enforcement agency.
Lateral transfers must meet the same minimum qualifications as entry-level officers, with the added requirements that you must already be certified as a police officer in good standing at another agency and have a minimum of two years’ experience.
Why transfer to UIPD?
Working as a police officer at UIPD has many benefits over a traditional law enforcement agency. Here are just a few:
- Competitive pay. Lateral transfers are credited for their service time at another agency and come in at that pay level at UIPD. For example, if you’ve been a police officer at another agency for five years, you come in at the same pay level as officers with five years’ experience at UIPD.
- Exciting overtime opportunities. The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is home to Big Ten athletics and hosts all kinds of popular shows and musicians at its campus theaters. You can experience these events on the court, on the field or behind the scenes — and get paid to do it.
- Flexible scheduling. UIPD officers sign up for shifts every six months. They work a 10-hour shift, have 3-4 days off per week and rotating weekends.
- Paid workout time. UIPD recognizes that physical fitness is an important part of an officer’s ability to keep the community safe. That’s why we allow every officer up to three hours per week of paid, on-shift workout time.
- Uniform allowance. The department gives its officers an annual allowance (typically more than $1,000) to make sure they are well equipped and properly dressed for their jobs.
- In-house mental health services. Just like physical fitness, mental wellness is the foundation to allow officers to stay motivated, think clearly in rapidly-evolving situations, and make good decisions for the safety of the community. UIPD employs a licensed clinical social worker who is available to speak with officers in a safe and confidential manner to promote good mental health.
- Work with the community. UIPD puts emphasis on its community outreach work, and there are a lot of opportunities to get involved. If you are someone who likes to interact with community members and support young adults as they advance their education, then UIPD is the place for you.
- Tuition benefits. Employees at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign are eligible for a 100 percent tuition waiver at any state university, making it a perfect option for professionals looking to continue their education or earn an advanced degree. Employees with seven years of service earn a 50 percent tuition waiver for their children.
- World-class campus. The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is a renowned research institution in a “microurban” community that consistently ranks among the nation’s best college towns. A great place to raise a family.
The University of Illinois Police Department is part of the Division of Public Safety. The Division has 74 sworn police officers at full staffing, and approximately 40 full-time, non-sworn staff. It responds to about 13,500 calls for service annually.
The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus serves more than 56,000 students, plus another 15,000 full-time staff and faculty. The University of Illinois Police Department also serves the Champaign-Urbana community and its 125,000 residents.
One of the most compelling reasons to work at UIPD is the diversity of work that happens within the department and the opportunities for advancement, including:
You can hear from some of the officers in these units.
Lateral transfers come in at a pay level based on their service time at another law enforcement agency.
Hourly rates as of Feb. 1, 2023:
- 2-4 years: $36.24
- 4-7 years: $41.79
- 7-10 years: $42.72
- 10-15 years: $44.99
- 15-20 years: $46.51
- 20-25 years: $47.59
- 25-30 years: $48.31
- 30+ years: $49.51
On top of that, officers can anticipate approximately $10,000 to $15,000 annually in overtime.
Submitting your information here will get you on our contact list for when we have open positions and are conducting interviews. You will be informed of next steps soon after submitting this application.
We hire on an as-needed basis throughout the year with no set schedule. Unfortunately, we cannot always predict the next time we’ll be hiring, but submitting this form will guarantee that you’ll be notified.