Skip to content

Campus Security Authorities

The University of Illinois Police Department encourages all members of the campus community to report crime. However, under the Clery Act, Campus Security Authorities (CSAs) are required to report Clery Act-qualifying crimes which occurred on campus, in public areas bordering campus and in certain non-campus buildings owned or leased by the university.

Who is a CSA?

The law defines four categories of CSAs:

1. University Police Department sworn personnel and department administrators.

2. Non-police people of offices responsible for campus security. These CSAs have security presence or access control authority on university property, including, but not limited to, security guards, student patrol officers, security staff at athletic events, and student ID checkers for the Division of Campus Recreation.

3. Officials with significant responsibility for student and campus activities category is defined broadly to ensure complete coverage and thorough reporting of crimes. To determine which individuals or organizations are CSAs, consider job functions that involve relationships with students. Look for officials (not support staff) whose functions involve relationships with students. An official is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the university. If someone has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, she or he is a CSA. Some examples of CSAs in this category include, but are not limited to: deans, student affairs professionals, student housing staff, athletic director/assistant directors, coaches, student activities coordinators, Title IX Coordinator, student judicial officers, faculty/staff advisors to student organizations, Director of Health Center, victim advocates, and faculty/staff who lead University sponsored student travel.

4. Any individual or organization specified in an institution’s statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses.

Who is not a CSA?

The following non-CSA positions/functions include but are not limited to: administrative and clerical staff members who are not responsible for students, individual faculty with no student activity duties outside the classroom, doctors at McKinley Health Center, or counselors in the Counseling Center who only provide care to individual students. Employees whose only responsibility is to supervise student employees generally would not be classified as a CSA unless they have other duties that fall under the qualifications described above.

When should a CSA file a police report?

When a crime is reported to a CSA, first ask the reporting person if they would like to report it to University Police. If so, contact University Police at 217-333-1216. If the CSA has firsthand knowledge and confirmation that the reporting party filed a police report with University Police, then they are not obligated to complete and submit a Campus Security Authority Crime Report Form. However, if the reporting party says they will file a police report with University Police, leaving the CSA with no firsthand knowledge and confirmation that a police report was filed, then the CSA must still complete and submit a CSA Crime Report.

CSAs are encouraged to report all crimes reported to them, on a timely basis, to University Police via a CSA Crime Report Form, which can be completed online. However, under the Clery Act, only Clery Act qualifying crimes are required to be reported.

If the reported crime is made in good faith, meaning that there is reasonable basis for believing that the information is not rumor or hearsay, then the crime is Clery reportable. CSAs, when interacting with the crime reporting party, need to gather incident information that would provide sufficient detail to properly classify the incident. This means CSAs need to document reporting party responses or lack thereof. Reporting party identifying information should only be included in the Report Form if the reporting party is willing to provide same. CSAs should not investigate the crime or attempt to determine whether a crime, in fact, took place. When in doubt, a Report Form should be completed and submitted.

When can an anonymous report be filed?

The University Police Department, unless otherwise prescribed by law, does not take anonymous police reports. The exception related to anonymous reporting involves Campus Security Authorities. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign permits victims or witnesses to report crimes to CSAs on a voluntary, anonymous basis (and includes such anonymous reports in Annual Security and Fire Safety Report crime totals) but encourages individuals who report crime to provide identifying information.

What should a CSA tell a reporting party?

The following is a sample of what CSAs can tell a reporting party who comes to report a crime:
“As part of my position on campus I am a federally mandated crime reporter for the University. I am required to report of this incident to University Police for data gathering. If you request confidentiality, the Report Form will not include your name, or that of any other involved individuals. My report will contain only the information you provide. I also need to inform you that the information about this crime will be evaluated by the University Police to determine if there is a need for a Campus Safety Notice. Even if you decide to give your name, the Campus Safety Notice will not include any personally identifiable information about you. Do you have any questions? Would you like to help me fill it out?”

Additionally, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign provides information on reporting options (both confidential and non-confidential) to people who have experience sexual violence and misconduct. Those resources are available at and a printable brochure.

What is done with CSA Reports?

The University Police reviews CSA reports and makes a determination if an incident warrants timely warning and/or emergency notification of the University community and whether it is a reportable crime in the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. The Clery Compliance Coordinator will consolidate crime data from multiple sources, report qualifying crime data to the federal Department of Education, publish campus security reports and inform the campus community when and where Annual Security and Fire Reports are available.