Non-campus property reporting

Because of a recent reinterpretation of a federal law, we must identify all properties outside of our core campus which may be subject to Clery crime reporting regulations. All Clery liaisons must evaluate the properties used by their departments and units so we can avoid substantial penalties.

If your unit uses university-owned property away from the core campus, or if your unit has a written agreement to use property away from the core campus, this location may be subject to federal regulations.


Some examples of property or space that would fall into this category include but are not limited to:

  • The College of Business offers an Executive MBA program in Chicago.
  • The Department of Animal Sciences sends students to Dixon Springs Agricultural Center in southern Illinois as part of the ACES Office of Research internship program.
  • The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences takes forestry students on recurring field trips to Brownfield Woods north of Urbana.
  • The Illinois in Washington program provides housing for students while they intern in Washington, D.C.
  • The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences sponsors a three-week, faculty-led study abroad program to Cuba.

How to report

Please take an inventory of all the property your department or unit uses, and consider the below questions when deciding whether a building or space must be reported. If the answers to these questions are yes, you must report these locations using the link below.

  • Is this building, space or property located away from the core campus?
  • Is this property owned by the university, or does your unit have a written agreement to use this building, space or property?
  • Is this property used by students at least once per semester for recurring classes, recurring field trips, internships, student jobs or other regularly scheduled use?

For a property to be subject to federal regulations, a department or unit must have control over the physical building or space. The federal law does not apply to spaces for which the department has an agreement for programming, but no ownership or control over the space itself.

If you are unsure of whether a building or space should be reported, report it anyway, or contact the Clery Compliance Coordinator at We will be evaluating all submissions to ensure they meet the federal requirements.

Do you have a building or property to report?