Skip to content


Help us ensure quality service to all.

We want to hear your opinions, good or bad, so we can make sure we are serving the entire community in the best way possible.

General comments

Your feedback is important. If you have something you’d like to tell us, you can let us know by completing this form. If you’d like a response, we will get back to you as quickly as we can.

File a complaint

If you believe a police officer engaged in professional misconduct, you may choose to complete a citizen’s complaint to formally log your complaint. Formal complaints must be printed and returned to the University of Illinois Police Department, 1110 W. Springfield Ave., Urbana, IL 61801, either by hand or mail. If you have questions, please call 217-333-1216 to speak with a shift sergeant.

More about filing complaints

It is our policy to investigate all allegations of wrongdoing by employees. Because of the weight complaints carry both in the department and the community, the University of Illinois Police Department has specific policies and procedures to investigate and resolve formal complaints against police officers and other department members.

How are complaints made?

Throughout the year, members of the police department handle a variety of calls and have numerous contacts with the community. In some cases, individuals may feel that a member of the police department has treated them in a less than professional manner. If a person feels this has occurred, they can file a formal complaint. This complaint will be forwarded to the Chief of Police for assignment and investigation.
Complaints must be filed within 30 days of the date of the incident giving rise to the complaint unless the complainant is physically unable to file a complaint because he or she has been hospitalized or called to active military duty. In such case, the complaint must be filed within 15 days of the date the person becomes physically able to file or has returned from active military duty.

What happens when a formal complaint is filed?

Once a complaint is filed, it will be forwarded to the Chief of Police, who will then assign it to a supervisor for investigation. Whenever possible, the investigation will be concluded within 60 days unless unusual circumstances warrant an extension. You will be kept informed as to the status of the investigation and you will be advised in writing as to the outcome of the investigation.

What happens when the investigation reveals wrongdoing?

If the complaint is found to be true, the department member at fault may be disciplined at the discretion of the Chief of Police. Disciplinary action may range from an oral reprimand to suspension, or in extreme cases, termination.